THE IMPORTANCE OF BRANDING AND PACKAGING AS A MEANS OF PROMOTING SALES IN AN ORGANIZATION
The study focused on branding and packaging as an effective tool for sales promotion in an organization, the case study of Guinness Company, Benin. Some of the objectives of branding and packaging are to identify the restriction impulse by the organization in choosing brand name, also to show that branding and packaging a product on prices of the organization, some of the research questions of the study is to know the extent that new product help to increase in an organization. To what extent does the use of branding of new product in choosing brand names, the population size is 230. The sample size is 50 respondents. The questionnaire was used for the data collection. The sample random method from the finding made in the research it was revealed that branding play a vital role in improving the marketing strategy for individual product, it was revealed that packaging helps consumers economically. It was revealed that branding play a role on new product identification. It was revealed that branding act as an effective tool for sales promotion. It was concluded that management have a take into consideration the features of this product, such as packaging, labeling, quality, colour, design, etc. because it is also concluded that companies must decide on product attribute also to reposition any of the brand to promote sales of product. It is also recommended that for effective sales promotion, it is also recommended that for effective sales promotion, brand should always respond to a level of demand estimate and also packaging should be charming,, attractive, be easy to handle, protect and help in storage. The effective of branding and packaging a new product and the factor that influence branding and packaging in an organization are for suggestion for further studies.
BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Branding, packing and labeling of product as activities in the production of a product which are inevitable because of its importance with regard to sale promotion. The production of a product is incomplete if branding, packing and labeling do not take place. This is because it plays a vital role developing a marketing strategy of industrial product, the manufacturers has to consider the issue of branding. These have pressing for an effective marketing strategy taking into cognizance the fact that they have been wastage of resources and materials by manufacturers on the production of unmarketable products due to wrong method of branding and packaging the consumer are unaware of certain goods in the market which posses some utility. This has caused the pre-matured folding up of some companies. In view of this fact, it has interest the researcher to take time to diagnose the problem of communicating to potential user about the existence as well as the quality of a particular product but there has been some inadequacies which include lack of these products effort have often been made by manufacturers in promoting, branding, packaging and labeling to user about their products but there have been some inadequacies which include lack of combination of branding and packing of these products.
According to McCarthy (1978) asserted that in branding and packaging, decision may be more important and physical product decision, some objectives of branding and packaging are protecting the product, economy, easy identification, differentiation of the product.
The increasing importance of branding and packaging in Nigeria today cannot be over-emphasized in Nigeria because many years ago items were just packaged for sake of it. In some case many perishable goods like bread, cakes plantain and egg were not branded and packaged to them a attractive and easily sellable. For instance all the major brand of power milk in Nigeria now comes in both can and sachets. In Nigeria where consumer look for was to meet oither pressing needs, it becomes more expedient and wishes to buy the one in sachet or cans.
Manufacturing companies are set up to achieve specific objective, in order to derive the objectives, appropriate branding and packaging as tools in promoting sales should be employed to boost the sales of the product by giving the best of utility to consumers and earning a good computation.
Many marketers are now debating on how the fifth “P” known as marketing mix this is because marketing plays a very important role in any manufacturing company.
STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The statement of the problem in the research work will be based on the following questions.
- Does packaging in Nigeria measure up to international standards?
- How does the prevailing law guiding decision effect organization in the country.
- How to prospect for consumers?
- Is branding and packaging of the cause of high cost of living in the country today.
- How does the society view packaging with regard to the materials used in the environment?
OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
In order to meet research objectives in the research work are carried out in connection with what the topic entails.
The following are set of the objective framework.
- To show that branding and packaging are also promotional tools for users in any organization to enhance sales.
- To find out the impact of branding and packaging of production on the sale volume of the organization.
- To identify the restriction imposed by the federal government on choosing name.
- To what extent has marketing research aids that management of Cadbury Nigeria Plc decision marketing
- What are the alternation causes of actions that can be taken in case of any change?
- What are the problems facing marketing research?
- To determine the effect of branding and packaging research.
SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The study is aimed at bringing up the awareness of users in promoting manufacturers to enable us appreciate and enhance the importance of branding and packaging to sale product whereby enhancing the attainment of their goals.
The consumer will also be availed of the opportunity of ensuring the right product with knowledge of safety and quality.
SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This study is limited to research into branding and packaging of product in an organization and its effectiveness in promoting sales of such product, the tools of branding and packaging, the problem of putting branding and packaging into practice, it cause and possible solution will be brought into focus. It also examines the role of the management regard their contribution like establishing branding and packaging department, enhance effective marketing strategy.
OPERATIONAL DEFINITION OF TERMS
- Branding: This is a term that a manufacturer uses to identify and distinguish its products.
- Packaging: Is the processing of providing and convenient container for products.
- Sale Promotion: A marketing activity directed to the consumer, middlemen and sales force to enhance demand.
- Marketing Mix: This is the specific combination of interrelated and interdepartmental market activities in which an organization engage to meet the objective.
- Potential users: These are customers that are always ready and have the purchasing power to acquire items or product to make use of the product.